Hello SCS families,
As we wrap up a great first week at SCS, we would like to thank you for your patience as students, staff and parents learn new car line routines. As families who have attended SCS in previous years know, after the first couple of weeks, car line is a well oiled machine. It is important to note that this year we have had to adjust car line operations to accommodate the requirements due to the pandemic. As with any new system, there are adjustments that will need to be made. We are aware of the issues and are making changes to our internal systems to help things run more smoothly:
- In the morning, at each of the drop off areas, we will allow up to 2 cars to unload at the same time in the unloading zone. Please be sure to pay attention if you are in the unloading zone and watch for students.
- In the afternoon, we are working on improving our device connectivity to operate our new car line app without interruptions. Adjustments will also be made to the way cars split into 2 lanes so be sure to follow staff direction.
Car line is a partnership. Here’s what families can do to help:
- Be sure to review the car line map and know which zones you are dropping off and picking up your student from.
- Practice quick buckling/unbuckling with your students at home.
- Have students ready to get out of the car in the morning by having masks on and items all together.
- If you have a kinder or 1st grade student who requires assistance getting out of the car, please park in the lower parking lot and walk your child up to the overhang in the morning. If they need assistance loading during the afternoon, park in the lower parking lot and go to the walker pick up line to pick up your child.
- Don’t arrive to car line early (before 3:30). We have classes using the outdoor space and for student safety need the area clear of cars.
- If you have a 2nd/5th grader: please try to arrive after 3:40 pm as this allows us to filter more cars into the parking lot. Early 2nd/5th grade arrivals block the upper area, which in turn affects the number of cars on Main Street.
- While in line, pull up as close to the next car as is safe to do so. Closing the gaps between cars will help us to get traffic off of Main Street and help car line to flow more efficiently.
- Turn right out of the parking lot. Due to traffic, left turns block car line so only right turns are permitted.
Our priority is everyone’s safety and maintaining the flow of traffic, not only in the parking lot but also on Main Street. As with everything new, there are adjustments to be made and we appreciate your patience.
Thank you for your help in keeping our students safe!